Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Monocular Eyepiece Not A Complete Reference Book

FOUR STORIES OF BORDER





Carol & Butch - "Gracious House.

Denali Highway. After 80 km. of dirt under the rain, the first glimpse of the building 'at the bottom among the pines, it seems almost a mirage.
I go and see a row of "cabins" made of tree trunks, a small house in wood and some sort of maxi-trailer with a sign "BAR". On the back of a square bar with a light aircraft parked.
support the bike and I to enter but the door 'closed.
From the cabin, however, leaves' a lady in a suit and felpetta (brr. ..) that beckons me with his arm: "I'm coming." In short
are sheltered inside the trailer-bar decorated in a comfortable way. Before me a cup of coffee 'hot and a good slice of sweet cinnamon prepared today by Carol.
When I was a little 'taken followed by presentations and a chat.
Carol 'in Anchorage, so' as her husband Butch, but have chosen to live here in the most 'deep wilderness, where for several years have brought up this lodge, the "Gracious House. No TV, it communicates only with the current satellite and there 'the generator. For them and 'was a way of life since long ago fell in love with this place so' wild, impetuous nature that there 'all around.
As soon as they could have sold everything they had and have invested in this lodge. Here life and 'hard road and the' closed for snow from October to May and they can move only by snowmobile or airplane piloted by Butch. Of
Tourists and travelers will spend very little on this side and the revenues are just enough to get by.
I ask if they have never thought to drop everything and get back in town '. I replied that yes, we thought, but then adds pointing to the window with eyes that suddenly lights up: "How do you leave all this?".
"Oh yes-I reply-you're right."
Before leaving I proudly displays a picture of them with Sarah Palin and a message of thanks to George Bush for their campaign contributions.
I nod. Needless to tell you that my political views are far away from them, at these latitudes and 'just a detail.
back on my journey.
"Hello Carol - see you - And hold on "I had never wipe from here so I hope to find this oasis in the heart of 'Alaska.

Sue, Miss with a family in Alaska - Mc'Laren Lodge.

Denali Highway. Tonight, after another day in the rain, I found an excellent accommodation at the Lodge Mc'Laren, this unique structure, as well as Gracious House along the Denali Hwy
For $ 25 give me a "cabin" of wood to myself. It 'one where Winter housing the "mushers", the conductors of the sled dogs.
Inside decor very spartan, two bunk beds, a cot, table and chair, a wood stove. A "suite" where I can stay comfortable and dry throughout the wet stuff.
I even dine in the lodge where besides me is' just a family of Swiss speak Italian (!). Now we are sitting at the table, they are in Zurich, but originate in Italian Switzerland.
How nice for once to speak in their own language.
Shortly after entering the restaurant a very beautiful woman, tall and blonde, accompanied by two smiling children and even their blond, with which my guests will exchange the greeting.
When the woman comes out, ask the Swiss who were curious and they tell me their story.
Sue, so 'you call the woman,' which manages the complex of "cabins" that are the very basic to the 'river and where they are hosted by a couple of days. E 'was Miss Wyoming a few years ago and later came to her contracts, proposals, opportunity 'to work, etc.. During that period he made a trip to Alaska, passing from that place, and it 'was love at first sight in every direction. For those places and for a native born and raised them, 'that she has married.
and career and everything else ... "game over". Leave everything and moved them 'where they put up the house. Shortly after came the two children, and then raising 37 sled dogs that are now part of the family.
To make ends meet have built this company with which rent the "cabins" for tourists and accompany them on excursions to spot wildlife.
each year, with the arrival of summer, part of the husband alone and turns to walk for a month in the heart of the wilderness. Part completely without food, 'cause the nature and argues that' already 'can provide everything' in a man needs. Just know it well.
After the story remain a bit 'to think about it. After
and 'a history of balance.
In that place away from everything, everyone has found his own, and together they found their own, including dogs.
A beautiful story of the border.

Kevin & Janet - Paxson Lake Campground.

Richardson Hwy
"Do you like a cold beer?".
I just did not have time to enter the campground of Paxson Lake that while I'm scanning the place to pitch your tent, I hear this attractive proposal comes directly from the veranda of a camper.
"Off curse - Sure."
and within seconds the bike and 'leaning against the camper with all his baggage, while myself and' sitting at the table, camping Kevin & Janet swallowing good Ambeer pulled out of the refrigerator.
Between sips introduce myself and tell of my trip, who are very interested, and then want to know a lot of other things about me and especially on Italy that probably will visit next year. Then
and 'their turn. They're in Anchorage, she and 'teacher and he impiegatoe not be long before they retire. They live in the city 'but love nature and do not just have a free moment I'm around to Alaska with their old camperino, and then wandering around on foot or by bicycle.
They decided that as soon retire, sell everything they have, and build a wooden chalet somewhere in the wilderness, perhaps on the shores of a beautiful lake like this before us, but for the moment have not yet found the right place.
ask me if I like Alaska.
"Wonderful - I say - the landscapes, open spaces, animals, and the sense of freedom 'that pervades everything."
"However, if you come in Italy, I am convinced that you too will find something even better than your country."
"Oh yeah, and what?"
"Food."
General laughter, and this time 's "off course" is up to them.

Jamie & Dorothy - Koidern Lodge.

Alcan Hwy According to the paper I included a stop at the Lodge and finally Koidern geese 'at the bottom. By
dirt in the yard: a sign peeling, wooden boards nailed to the windows of what were once rooms in motels, rusting petrol pumps.
Oh no, will not be 'abandoned mica also this lodge, so' as so many others along the Hwy
"Do you need gas? - Need to Fill?"
From behind a fuel pump comes out with an old man smiling and ready wit.
"No thanks, but 'a cup of coffee', that is." I follow him to sign
pfa in the lodge.
The room in which you log on and 'the most' chaotic imaginable: dusty souvenirs, flags, canned them 'do not know how, bits of wood products, milk and oil spare parts, all piled together without logic.
Around the Formica table four chairs each different.
on an old wall clock stopped from who knows' how long.
From the kitchen comes the wife with a look a bit 'faded away and a strange peak on the forehead.
I should be sitting a cup of coffee 'smoking. I ask if he's sweet, but I replied that unfortunately the oven has just stopped working and her husband light up 'the wood stove in the afternoon, when you' time.
No matter, it's good coffee 'and some biscuits.
We get to talk and ask me what it 'l' Italy, Europe 's. Jamie
Dorothy and tell me they have always been li'e only look good in that place, where there are nature and open spaces, even though life there 'is not easy. I could not stay in any other poisto.
Dorothy says that once a relative led them to make a trip down 'in Vancouver. A beautiful place, 'but nonon could comprehend how people could live so the whole' piled up in a small space, in all those apartment blocks, even, he says putting his hands to his temples, moving up and down 'closed in those infernal boxes (" the elevators - the elevators). I smile and
I say that probably they are right, and they're best at Koidern Lodge.
It 's time to say goodbye before you leave and ask if I can go to the bathroom.
Jamie replies that "sorry", and the bathroom '"out of order" - a fault, the chill of winter has broken and the pipes need to be repaired.
"Do not worry - it does not matter. And goodbye.
forklift pockets While I think the bike: "I do not know how, but I would have sworn."

Four stories of the border, encountered along the way, but four different stories that have something in common.
The desire to live in this primordial nature, and willing 'to face life head on: "today" and not "tomorrow". This
' the spirit of those who live here, and wide open spaces as there are around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment